The possibility of having the world on your shirt or watch or glasses just moved a giant step closer with the obliteration of The Page. Imagine reading an entire book through a 13 character interface. Or a website.
sp-1
Developed and tested for over three years with deep roots in science and data, Spritz enables the brain to focus on each word, promoting faster reading speeds and higher information retention rates.

It’s a bigger idea than the small size. At an astonishingly comfortable 250-500+ wpm clip (in an admittedly short trial, I was comfortable at 350), Spritz is faster than conventional reading (220 wpm). The size and speed are exciting: what makes this program a potential game changer is it also scores well on reading comprehension. Wow. Try it yourself, here. It’s surprising how quickly one adjusts to a much faster reading speed – And still understand what you’ve read.

For the last three years a Boston startup, Spritz Technologies, has been stealthily toiling away on reading methodologies and text streaming technology. What they’ve emerged with is exciting. Turns out, one of the big problems with reading is we move our eyes too much – about 20% of our time is processing content. The other 80% is given to searching; shifting eyes around the page and scanning for the next word. Even existing speed readers require a significant amount of eye-movement.

sp-2
Spritz’s first breath-through is discovering the ORP – an Optimal Recognition Point – where our eyes best recognize word placement. Each rapidly changing word is presented one at a time, placed in the reticle exactly where the eye needs it, eliminating the need to scan ahead for the next word and find the ORB – which makes reading (and comprehension) much faster.

The 13 character display area is not just an optimal size some engineer selected for wide application – the driver is science: 13 characters is the finite space our eyes can focus on.

sp-3

From fonts to algorithms, Spritz has been designed for comprehensive reading on a small display area. What it just might have accomplished in the process is an effective change in the experience of reading words. Traditional or even emergent methods of reading could be replaced or at least augmented by what Spritz refers to as Streaming Text Content: one word at a time, all delivered in the space and means where we most easily ‘get it’ – and at an adaptable pace.

It’s possible this technology will be a significant breakthrough for reading difficulties. Still in Beta, Spritz has received great initial feedback from dyslexic readers and those with attention or focus issues. I’m looking forward to learning more as the project progresses and feedback emerges on comprehension levels as it gets wider use and research.

Spritz isn’t the ultimate Vulcan mind-meld dump-an-entire-book-all-at-once thing I’ve been waiting for someone to invent so I can inhale more knowledge effortlessly; But this technology has me almost as excited. Looking to a future, I can easily see Spritz evolving with the addition of eye tracking that pauses the text stream when I blink or look away. Add-on speech recognition and imagine reading without bookmarks or highlights – speak the content and it searches the text for references. My google-IQ just went up 125%. Suddenly, the wearables are readables. And the world tilts.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/spritz-reinvents-reading-on-mobile-devices-one-word-at-a-time-246756751.html
http://www.mobilemarketingwatch.com/spritz-aims-to-reinvent-reading-on-mobile-devices-39680/